This ad is expired.
- Go to our website »
West Valley-Mission Community College District
Closing Date: 2/12/2023
The Department of Facilities is seeking a talented individual to fill the position of
Groundskeeper. The purpose of this role is to perform a variety of routine
maintenance functions related to grounds maintenance and gardening of campus
grounds, landscaped areas, or athletic fields; to operate equipment related to
assignment; and to assist with minor maintenance projects on a community college
Comprised of two colleges, West Valley College and Mission College, we are located
in the heart of Silicon Valley. Our staff and faculty are among the most qualified in the
state and our students appreciate our two colleges for our friendly staff and
Applicants who possess the knowledge, skills, and life experiences to address the
cultural and educational needs of a culturally diverse student population are
encouraged to apply.
100% of full time, 37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year, with anticipated start date of January 2023. Schedule may change to include some evening or weekend hours, as needed. This position is a member of the West Valley-Mission Classified Employees Association (WVMCEA), Operations & Support Services Employee Unit.
Work Location: West Valley College, Saratoga, CA
This position may be assigned to either Mission College or West Valley College, or re-assigned from one College to the other.
Salary and Benefits:
Anticipated Hiring Range:
- $5,265-$5,736 monthly (WVMCEA Operations & Support Salary Schedule, Range 53, Steps A-C).
- Employer-contributed medical, dental and vision for employee, spouse, and/or dependents.
- Employer-paid long term disability for employee.
- Employer-provided life insurance.
- 13 paid holidays, plus 1 floating holiday annually; paid non-workdays between Christmas and New Year.
- 12 days vacation leave accrued annually; rate increases step-wise up to maximum 22 days vacation leave accrued annually.
- 12 days sick leave accrued annually.
- Personal necessity leave and personal business leave.
- Educational growth incentive program from $45 to $225 monthly.
- $500 longevity award annually after 10 years of service and $1,000 longevity award annually after 15 years of service.
- CalPERS retirement.
- Position is union affiliated.
Any combination of experience and education that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and abilities would be:
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to the diverse academic, socio-economic, ethnic, religious and cultural backgrounds, disability, and sexual orientation of community college students, faculty and staff.
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth grade.
- Two years of responsible gardening experience.
License and Certificate:
- Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California drivers license as required by the position.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mow and edge lawns, using hand and power equipment including gang mowers.
- Spray shrubs, trees, weeds, and lawns, applying appropriate chemicals as necessary.
- Sweep or blow parking lots, roadways, and walkways; pick up litter and refuse.
- Prune trees and other plants; inspect trees for damage from pests and disease; plant, transplant, fertilize, and propagate ornamental plants.
- Use hand tools to work soil and to remove weeds and undergrowth from landscaped areas.
- Prepare athletic fields, including line striping and re-seeding
- Monitor and treat for pest activity, including gophers, wasps, and others.
- Repair sprinklers, and assist in the repair and installation of irrigation systems; clean drainage and other similar areas.
- May cut sections of sod for replacement.
- Operate, maintain and repair a variety of tools and equipment, including power mowers, trimmers, and all gardening equipment.
- Build and maintain positive working relationships with co-workers, other district employees, and the public using principles of good customer service.
- Foster an environment that embraces diversity, integrity, trust, and respect.
- Be an integral team player, which involves flexibility, cooperation, and communication.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
For more information on this position and to apply, please visit our website at the following link: wvm.peopleadmin.com
Applicants who, due to a disability, require accommodations to complete the application, testing or interview process, please contact Human Resources at (408) 741-2174 to arrange for assistance.
West Valley-Mission Community College District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency