Education and Career Advisor
Department: Springfield Adult Learning Center (SALC), Workforce Dev.
Locations: Springfield, MA
Posted: Jul 9, 2021
Closes: Open Until Filled
Type: PT No Benefits
Position ID:: 133450
About Springfield Technical Community College :
Located on 35 acres of the Springfield Armory National Historic Site and founded in 1967, Springfield Technical Community College is a major resource for the economic vitality of Western Massachusetts. As the only technical community college in Massachusetts, STCC offers a variety of career programs unequalled in the state. Digital Multimedia, IT Security, Nursing, Robotics, Sonography, Mechanical Engineering Technology (Advance Manufacturing) and dozens of other career programs produce potential employees each year. STCC's highly-regarded transfer programs in Business, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Science and Technology continue to provide the most economical option for students pursuing a four-year degree. With an annual enrollment of over 6,500, evening, weekend and online students, STCC is a vibrant campus rich in diversity and justifiably proud of our designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Respect, is one of the Core Values of the College and we strive to nurture mutual respect among faculty, staff and students. With respect, we embrace differences to create an inclusive environment for all. Together, we support students as they transform their lives through intellectual, cultural, and economic engagement while becoming thoughtful, committed and socially responsible graduates.
- Provide high quality, pro-active, holistic advising for students with attendance, accommodations, computer access, housing, food insecurities, medical, academic and other barriers to success and make referrals as needed.
- Meet and greet students upon arrival, drop by classes, set up monthly appointments with students and set up additional meetings as needed.
- Maintain complete and accurate student records, advising notes, attendance, outcomes, follow up data, assessment data, student moves and drops, shared customers, follow up calls, outcomes, returning student applications, etc. in a timely manner in program databases, files, and google documents.
- Share data in a timely way with program staff.
- Discuss and share attendance records, student contracts, and drop forms with students monthly and as needed.
- Meet with instructors biweekly to discuss student needs, attendance, interventions, promotions, moves and drops.
- Develop opportunities for students to make connections within our program and within the college through events, guest speakers, activities, tours, student meetings, etc.
- Host events for new students: interviews, onboarding events, new student welcome event, introductory workshops, zoom access and practice and share schedules and placement information with new students and include returning students if needed.
- Support students with access to STCC email, computers, and other needs.
- Conduct follow-up calls and exit interviews. Arrange the return of materials and computers/technology with exited students. Manage and record data for exited students.
- Support assessment events by organizing, scheduling, conducting assessment sessions and recording and reviewing scores with students, monitoring student readiness for assessments, and providing practice sessions in collaboration with instructors.
- Develop and maintain student assessment schedules and assessment documentation in order to meet program goals and fulfill funding requirements.
- Assist students with the HiSET process including supporting students create a HiSET account, schedule exams, apply for funding for the HiSET, and gives and reviews HiSET practice tests as needed.
- Provide a series of workshops and individual support to develop short and long-term goals, college and career goals, learning strategies, tools for academic support and develop a college going culture.
- Substitute in the classrooms and provide advising and educational workshops in line with college and career pathways.
- Create and use college and career pathway curriculum: unit plans, lesson plans, syllabi, curriculum maps and other instructional support as needed.
- Provide students with Next Step events through our Transition to College, STCC Career Center, STCC Open House events, STCC College Fairs, Workforce Development Center events and host MassHire Welcome events.
- Conduct workshops on career exploration, goal setting, and job search activities including applications, interviewing, and other career-related topics as needed.
- Participate and support College for a Night, SALC graduation, and other student-focused events.
- Participate in meetings, orientation, information sessions, recruitment, program planning, curriculum development and program continuous improvement.
- Perform other duties as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in counseling, education, or closely related field with two years' experience providing advising services to a diverse population.
- Proficient with data entry, Word, Excel, Google Docs.
- Strong written and interpersonal communication; excellent organizational skills; strong leadership skills;
- Ability to multitask, meet deadlines, work in a fast paced environment, demonstrate initiative and the ability to support staff and students where they are;
- Commitment to professional and program development;
- Commitment to developing a positive, collaborative environment;
- Commitment to learner-centered, life-long learning;
- Master's degree preferred; trained on TABE, MAPT, O'Net, Next-Gen ACCUPLACER and other assessments preferred;
- Proficiency in English and Spanish preferred;
- Prior experience with the Department Elementary and Secondary Education in Massachusetts Adult Community and Learning System and the LiteracyPro (LACES) database preferred.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Working environment inside classroom/office space. Normally seated, standing or walking at will. Light Physical exertion.
SALARY: $25.00/ hour
WORK SCHEDULE: 16 hours/week, 38 weeks, Mondays (on campus/remote) (4:00 - 8:30 pm), Tuesday through Thursday (on campus and remote advising) (4:30 - 8:30 pm).
GRANT FUNDED: Yes
TRAVEL: Position based on STCC Campus although some travel to and from Professional Development opportunities maybe available.
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled
STCC conducts a pre-employment screening on specified positions, which may include, but is not limited to, a Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and/or Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. Finalist(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: All applicants must apply online at www.stcc.edu by submitting a cover letter**, resume and three (3) professional **Cover letter must demonstrate how your education and experience qualifies you for this position.
STCC conducts a pre-employment screening. Initial and continued employment is dependent upon meeting National Background Check, Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and/or Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check and if applicable, Physical and Alcohol/Drug Testing requirements. Screening also includes verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. Finalist(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
POLICY STATEMENT ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY & DIVERSITY
The Board of Higher Education and the Boards of Trustees of the Community Colleges maintain and promote a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information maternity leave, military service and national origin ("protected class(s)/classification(s)." Further, this policy prohibits retaliation and incorporates by reference, and where applicable, the requirements of Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1968; Titles I and II of the Civil Rights Act of 1991; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and its regulations found at 34 C.F.R. part 106; Equal Pay Act of 1963; Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988; Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; Section 402 of the Vietnam-era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA); Age Discrimination Act of 1975; Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended; Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993; Federal Executive Order 11246 of 1965, as amended by Executive Order 11375 of 1967; Federal Executive Order 12900 of 1994; Federal Executive Order 13145 of 2000; Federal Executive Order 13160 of 2000; Federal Executive Order 13166 of 2000; Massachusetts Civil Rights Act; Massachusetts General Laws Chapters 151B, 151C, and Chapter 149; directives of the BHE, the Boards of Trustees of the Community Colleges and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and other applicable local, state and federal constitutions, statutes, regulations and executive orders.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
STCC's personnel and academic decisions, programs and policies are formulated and conducted in a manner, which will ensure equal access for all people and prevent discrimination. As part of this effort, a College will ensure that employment and academic decisions, programs and policies will be based solely on the individual eligibility, merit or fitness of applicants, employees and students without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, marital status, military service, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation or political or union affiliation.
To apply, visit https://stcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=133450&CNTRNO=15&TSTMP=0
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency
$GUIDPT No Benefits