Salary: $21.40 - $26.33 Hourly
Location: Reedley College, CA
Job Type: Permanent
Division: RC Administrative Services
Job Number: 2022087
Closing: 10/13/2022 11:59 PM Pacific
Contact: Personnel Commission
Under general supervision, prepares, cooks and bakes a variety of hot and cold menus items for daily campus cafe needs and catering events; and performs related duties as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to this class.
- Cooks/prepares a variety of menu items including cooked-to-order grill items, main dishes, side dishes, sauces, soups, meats, vegetables and snacks, according to nutrition, sanitation and food safety standards.
- Bakes a variety of items including cookies and pastries, according to nutrition, sanitation and food safety standards.
- Interprets, follows, converts and/or adjusts assigned recipes as needed.
- Operates a variety of food preparation and service equipment including stovetops, ovens, grills, slicers and mixers.
- Maintains work areas in a safe, sanitary and clean manner.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of historically minoritized groups and participates in professional development activities to increase cultural competency to enhance equity-minded practices within the District.
- Maintains a variety of logs and records regarding food inventory and food safety.
- Assists in the delivery, setup, serving and cleanup related to food service at catered functions.
- Assists with other Food Services staff duties such as cashiering, line serving, shelf stocking, dish washing, sweeping, mopping, and nightly lock up as required when staffing needs dictate.
- Assists with researching, creating and testing new recipes and changes to existing recipes.
- Assists in ordering and receiving shipments of supplies.
- Provides day-to-day lead work guidance and direction to other staff and student aides when manager is not available; monitors work for completeness, accuracy and conformance with District, department and legal/regulatory requirements and standards; provides information, instruction and training on work procedures and technical, legal and regulatory requirements.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Employment Standards / Minimum Qualifications
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Institutional cooking and food preparation practices and methods.
- Standard principles of nutrition, sanitation and food safety as it relates to institutional food preparation.
- Safe and proper operation of equipment used in a commercial kitchen.
- Food storage techniques and rotation of perishable foods.
- Practices and techniques of customer service.
- Mathematics, measurements and weights applicable to assigned duties.
- Point-of-sale systems and cash handling.
- Recordkeeping regarding food inventory and food safety.
- Practices and procedures of lead work direction and employee training.
Skills and Abilities to:
- Prepare, cook and bake a variety of foods in large quantities within established time constraints.
- Effectively research, interpret and adjust recipes and changes to recipe ingredients.
- Safely operate commercial kitchen equipment.
- Travel to a variety of locations on and off campus as needed for catering events.
- Effectively engage and support historically minoritized groups by addressing issues of equity and improving culturally responsive service-oriented practices.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Understand and follow written and oral instructions.
- Operate a computer, point-of-sale hardware and standard business software.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with all those encountered in the course of work.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Graduation from high school or GED equivalent and at least two years of progressively responsible experience preparing, cooking and baking food in a commercial kitchen setting, institutional food service or catering; or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
LICENSES, CERTIFICATES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS
A valid California driver's license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District's vehicle insurance program.
ServSafe certification or California Food Handler Card preferred.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by employees to successfully perform the essential functions of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk; sit; stoop, kneel or crouch.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this class, employees are regularly required to use written and oral communication skills; read and interpret data, information and documents; analyze and solve problems; use shop math; observe and interpret situations; learn and apply new information or new skills; work under deadlines with constant interruptions; and interact with District staff, other organizations and the public.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential duties of this class. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee generally works in a commercial kitchen environment and occasionally works in outside weather conditions. The employee works near moving mechanical parts, and is exposed to hot, cold, wet or humid conditions and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud. The employee may be required to travel to locations other than assigned work site and to adjust to work schedule changes and requirements to work overtime.
All SCCCD employees will be required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. To learn more about this requirement, visit the Vaccine Mandate information page or go to scccd.edu.
To move forward in the selection process, you must complete an online application through our web site at http://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd. Resumes may also be uploaded but cannot be used in place of a completed application.
ONCE YOU HAVE SUBMITTED YOUR APPLICATION YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MAKE REVISIONS TO YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS.
When completing the application, please make sure you include ALL current and previous employment in the Work Experience section of the application and complete ALL fields, including the name and contact information for your supervisors. Experience that is included in the resume but not in the Work Experience section of the application may not be considered for the purpose of determining whether you meet the minimum qualifications.
All required documents must be submitted by the applicant. Personnel Commission staff will not upload your documents for you. The State Center Community College District does not accept letters of recommendation for classified positions. Please do not attempt to attach letters of recommendation to your application.
APPLICATION REVIEW AND ASSESSMENTS
The application review process includes an evaluation of training and experience based on given application information and answers to supplemental questionnaire. Only the most qualified applicants, who pass the minimum qualifications review, will be invited to the assessment process.
The assessment process will include an online competency assessment (60% weight) and an oral interview assessment (40% weight). Of those achieving a passing score on the competency assessment, only the most qualified candidates will be invited to the oral interview assessment. Passing score is 75% out of 100% on each examination section.
INITIAL TESTING TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR OCTOBER 25, 2022
Candidates who attain a passing score on each part of the assessment will be placed in rank order on a Reedley College Open-Competitive List. Using Using the same process, a separate Promotional List will be established and both Lists will be used concurrently. The eligibility list will be used to fill current vacancies in this classification at Reedley College ONLY for at least six months.
PASSING THE ASSESSMENTS AND BEING PLACED ON THE ELIGIBILITY LIST DO NOT GUARANTEE AN OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT.
Individuals with disabilities requiring reasonable accommodation in the selection process must inform the State Center Community College District Personnel Commission Department in writing no later than the filing date stated on the announcement. Those applicants needing such accommodations should document this request including an explanation as to the type and extent of accommodation needed to participate in the selection process.
State Center Community College District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. It is the policy of State Center Community College District to provide all persons with equal employment and educational opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, gender, age, disability, medical condition, marital status, religion or similar factors as defined by law. We are a Title V employer.
To apply, visit https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/scccd/jobs/3723570/cook-full-time-10-months
Copyright 2022 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency jeid-84491f885f30a040969f6ee7fa4a90e6