This ad is expired.
Academic & Transfer Advisors (2) Male Initiative for Leadership and Education (MILE) Program
Category: Administrative and Professional
Department: MILE Program
Locations: Springfield, MA
Posted: Sep 30, 2021
Closes: Oct 14, 2021 - 11:59 PM EDT
Position ID:: 137380
About Springfield Technical Community College :
Located on 35 acres of the Springfield Armory National Historic Site and founded in 1967, Springfield Technical Community College is a major resource for the economic vitality of Western Massachusetts. As the only technical community college in Massachusetts, STCC offers a variety of career programs unequalled in the state. Digital Multimedia, IT Security, Nursing, Robotics, Sonography, Mechanical Engineering Technology (Advance Manufacturing) and dozens of other career programs produce potential employees each year. STCC's highly-regarded transfer programs in Business, Engineering, Liberal Arts, Science and Technology continue to provide the most economical option for students pursuing a four-year degree. With an annual enrollment of over 6,500, evening, weekend and online students, STCC is a vibrant campus rich in diversity and justifiably proud of our designation as a Hispanic Serving Institution. Respect, is one of the Core Values of the College and we strive to nurture mutual respect among faculty, staff and students. With respect, we embrace differences to create an inclusive environment for all. Together, we support students as they transform their lives through intellectual, cultural, and economic engagement while becoming thoughtful, committed and socially responsible graduates.
STCC is seeking two (2) Academic and Transfer Advisors for the Male Initiative for Leadership and Education (MILE) program, which seeks to improve the access, retention, and completion rates for Black and Latino male students at STCC.
Reporting to the Director of MILE, the Academic and Transfer Advisor is responsible for holistically assisting program participants with all aspects of college procedures, programs, and services pertaining to registration, retention, student success, and transfer. This position is responsible for researching and implementing best practices; collecting and analyzing student success data; program reporting; planning, leading and evaluating individual and group advising, career or transfer events, and enrichment activities to ensure every program participant is provided with individualized support and with proactive career, academic, and transfer counseling.
The Academic and Transfer Advisor will collaborate with the professional advisors in both the Academic Advising & Transfer Center and TRIO SSS to help ensure successful registration of program participants.
Responsibilities (Include but not limited to):
- Provide information, assistance, and guidance to current and prospective program participants regarding college programs, financial services, program intake processes, student support services, and advising processes such as course registration and transfer.
- Register program participants for courses in accordance with their degree program.
- Build an academic plan for every participant according to their degree program.
- Advise students on academic plan, course registration and graduation requirements.
- Work with students uncertain about their major/career pathway to clarify their interests and map out an appropriate academic plan.
- Track graduation/transfer dates; Maintain files and records.
- Advise students with changes in major or degree program based on interest, transferability and academic success.
- Initiate communication and engage in ongoing outreach with students via phone, text, e-mail, and one-on-one contacts to maintain and establish relationships for the purpose of retaining student population.
- Monitor and provide outreach using the Early Alert system. Provide academic solutions and guidance.
- Contact upcoming graduates to schedule transfer consultations each semester.
- Meet with students to discuss potential careers and provide information on senior institutions that offer programs with appropriate preparation for intended career(s.) Assist students in utilizing online resources to access transfer and financial aid information.
- Assist students in learning about their transfer options by providing information on costs, size, location, areas of specialization and overall "fit" at the senior institutions.
- Coordinate and supervise transfer and cultural trips. Include a campus tour, information session, and transcript review sessions.
- Assist students in identifying, completing and submitting the appropriate transfer applications and support documentation required.
- Maintain a transfer library with current information from transfer schools.
- Offer program participants solutions to overcome barriers to retention and/or registration.
- Promote the use of college-wide systems by guiding program participants through processes such as registration, payments, financial aid tracking status and student academic statuses;
- Resolve participant challenges by clarifying issues; researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions; implementing solutions to aid with persistence; escalating unresolved problems.
- Serve as a liaison to faculty, staff, and community members in response to program participants.
- Develop, assess and facilitate co-curricular programming including leadership, social, and educational programs
- Must be flexible and willing to assist during peak times of registration rotating between in-person and electronic customer service duties.
- Anticipate and meet all program participant needs accurately, professionally and with a commitment to student satisfaction.
- Responsible for supervising student employees including MILE Peer Advisors and Peer Tutors
- Responsible for working cross-functionally with other teams, building customer relationships, and other special projects, as necessary.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities related to those listed above which do not alter the basic level of the position.
- Master's degree in Education, Counseling, Psychology or closely related field;
- 3-5 years experience and/or training involving college admissions, academic advising, career development, or program/project management; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to assess and negotiate complex, highly sensitive situations.
- Experience successfully planning, executing, and evaluating programs and initiatives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required.
- Commitment to providing excellent customer service.
- Creative problem-solving abilities.
- Master's Degree in Student Affairs or related field
- Ellucian Student Information Systems experience preferred.
- Experience working in community college.
- Bilingual or Bicultural (Spanish and English).
- Experience working with and supporting a culturally diverse population in a Hispanic-Serving Institution.
Applicants who do not meet the qualifications as stated above are encouraged to put in writing precisely how their background and experience have prepared them with the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience required for the responsibilities of this position.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
Works in an office setting. Tasks require the ability to exert light physical effort in sedentary to light work. Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time. The individual needs to move about inside the office to access office machinery. Constantly operates a computer and other equipment i.e. copier. This person frequently communicates with students, faculty and staff. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations.
Salary: $58,320 - $84,938 (Grade 5 MCCC) per annum plus fringe benefits, state-funded position. Starting salary will be dependent upon qualifications and experience. Twelve-month position.
Position Classification: MCCC Unit Professional Position (Grant Funded through June 30, 2022.
Work Schedule: 37.5 hours per week (Monday - Friday). Requires flexibility to work occasional evenings and/or weekends as demand dictates.
Closing Date: October 11, 2021 (or open until filled)
COVID VACCINATION REQUIREMENT:
Candidates for employment should be aware that all STCC students, faculty and staff are required to be fully vaccinated by January, 2022. Accordingly, initial employment is dependent upon receipt and verification of full vaccination status and details regarding how to fulfill vaccine documentation requirements will be shared during the hire and onboarding process.
INFORMATION AWARENESS SECURITY TRAINING:
Candidates for employment should be aware that all STCC employees are required to complete Information Awareness Security Training within thirty days of their orientation date and annually thereafter.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: All applicants must apply online at https://www.stcc.edu/about-stcc/employment/ by submitting a cover letter**, resume and three (3) professional **Cover letter must demonstrate how your education and experience qualifies you for this position.
STCC conducts a pre-employment screening. Initial and continued employment is dependent upon meeting National Background Check, Criminal Offender Record Information (CORI) and/or Sex Offender Registry Information (SORI) check and if applicable, Physical and Alcohol/Drug Testing requirements. Screening also includes verification of academic credentials, licenses, certifications, and/or verification of work history. Finalist(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment screening as a condition of employment.
POLICY STATEMENT ON AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY & DIVERSITY
The Board of Higher Education and the Boards of Trustees of the Community Colleges maintain and promote a policy of non-discrimination on the basis of race, creed, religion, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information maternity leave, military service and national origin ("protected class(s)/classification(s)." Further, this policy prohibits retaliation and incorporates by reference, and where applicable, the requirements of Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964; Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1968; Titles I and II of the Civil Rights Act of 1991; Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 and its regulations found at 34 C.F.R. part 106; Equal Pay Act of 1963; Civil Rights Restoration Act of 1988; Sections 503 and 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973; Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990; Section 402 of the Vietnam-era Veterans Readjustment Act of 1974, Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA); Age Discrimination Act of 1975; Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967, as amended; Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993; Federal Executive Order 11246 of 1965, as amended by Executive Order 11375 of 1967; Federal Executive Order 12900 of 1994; Federal Executive Order 13145 of 2000; Federal Executive Order 13160 of 2000; Federal Executive Order 13166 of 2000; Massachusetts Civil Rights Act; Massachusetts General Laws Chapters 151B, 151C, and Chapter 149; directives of the BHE, the Boards of Trustees of the Community Colleges and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts; and other applicable local, state and federal constitutions, statutes, regulations and executive orders.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY STATEMENT
STCC's personnel and academic decisions, programs and policies are formulated and conducted in a manner, which will ensure equal access for all people and prevent discrimination. As part of this effort, a College will ensure that employment and academic decisions, programs and policies will be based solely on the individual eligibility, merit or fitness of applicants, employees and students without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, age, disability, sex, marital status, military service, gender identity, genetic information, sexual orientation or political or union affiliation.
To apply, visit https://stcc.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=137380&CNTRNO=2&TSTMP=0
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency